Saturday, October 22, 2016

A quaint little drinking village with a fishing problem. Homer, Alaska.


The thing about Homer is it's one of the loveliest towns in south central Alaska. Sorry, Seward, Valdez, and Cordova. You all have your beauty spots but inch for inch the city on Kachemak Bay is beautiful. The photo above shot just as the sun was coming up over the head of the bay.

I went down there with the express purpose of getting a better handle on the town and locations of things in it. A new series in brewing in my brain. Homer and the surrounding area will figure prominently in this one. And as I love traveling around Alaska, the lure of Homer was irresistible.


What looks like a dark shadow on the bay in the photo above is Homer Spit. It is a unique finger of land that juts out into the bay itself. There are a few spits in Kachemak Bay, but this one is by far the most well known. And I've watched it evolve over the last twenty or so years.

It has a marina. And if you have watched Deadliest Catch for any length of time you know one vessel calls Homes its home port. Now there is a tidal basin where you can fish.

The Salty Dawg, a famous drinking spot is on the spit. In the summer there are a few restaurants, and I found one that was open early for the fishermen and served the best breakfast. Yum.

And there is the beach. Long and narrow, it stretches almost the entire length of the west side of the spit. People do camp out on it. My love and I did so once. It was great fun.


And here you have the sign that tells you this is it, Land's End for south central Alaska.

On the other side of the road is the Alaska Marine Highway Terminal. One Sunday I got a notion and at 3 am took off for Homer. On finding that the ferry was in, I took it over to Seldovia. I paid extra for the truck, which was a good thing as it started to rain. The tourist season was over and not sure what was open; I needed a way to stay warm.
Below is a shot of the Seldovia dock and the MV Tustumena, fondly known as the Tusty. It was a fun trip. I made it home slightly before midnight, tired and happy.







No comments:

Post a Comment