Tuesday, February 11, 2020

I love cooking on a stove that's pumping out wood heat into the room. You can say what you want, nothing I know beats wood heat. Somehow, it warms a room the way nothing else can. An electric heater, even with a fan, doesn't quite do the job. Heating with electricity can find you with a bill that will nearly cause heart palpitations.

Gas heat is great if you can afford piping it in. In my case thousands of dollars is out of the question. So I stick with a fuel oil furnace and supplement with wood when the temperature drops below -10. A good compromise.
I'm not equipped to cut my own wood these days. Most of the time I get a cord (4X4X8) before winter sets in. My son-in-law helped me get my wood. I got a good deal because I picked it up. We loaded it and unloaded it at the house. Stacked it and after covering it with a tarp, I was set.
It's February now and the pile has decreased considerably. There's still a bit and I'm not worried, it is February which means things should warm up a little. And I have a backup plan. A pile of old junk 2x4s which I'll cut up with the electric chain saw should the need arise. Which I doubt.
I've used my little stove, and it is a small one by Alaska standards, to cook on this winter. It makes a mean pot of beans or a stew. I get double duty from it, lunch, dinner and heat. Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment